Tuesday, November 11, 2008

National Donor Sabbath

This weekend marks the National Donor Sabbath, created to bring the topic of organ donation into houses of worship. One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that organ donation goes against their religion. In fact, all major religions support organ donation. Want to see what your religion has to say? Go here. It's okay, I'll wait. Unfortunately, most people don't think about organ donation until they're in a devastating situation. And that's the worst time to make a decision. Quite possibly, there's someone in your neighborhood, in your schools, your congregations, your work place, who need an organ and you may have no idea. Or maybe you think, I'm going out with everything I came in with-let someone else donate. Well, less than 1% of people die in a way that their organs can be donated. As Rabbi Hillel said, "And if I am only for myself, then what am I? If not now, when?"

So, if organ donation has touched your life, get up and say something in church this weekend.

I'll be speaking.

1 comment:

richgoldstein13 said...

Religion isn't about what a central authority says I should do, it's about how I can use my faith to justify all the crazy things I believe.