Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Tale of Two Jobs

Yes, I love the new job, as my aforewritten post shows. I love the babies, I love taking care of sick kids. I even love(well, maybe like a whole lot) taking care of stupid teenagers who ingest too much beer and fall off car roofs. No, really. I think it's because you can talk to teenagers in a way that you can't talk to other patients. "Dude! What the hell were you thinking?" and they just shrug and look sheepish. Plus, you can get away with the occassional curse word in front of teenagers, as long as their parents aren't around, like when you're hip deep in a dressing change and you drop your last piece of Telfa and now you have to stop everything and walk clear across the unit to get another one and so, without thinking, you mutter, "Mother-f*#ker!"

Sorry, but TC can curse like a sailor. In several languages, including Tagalog. It's a gift.





Anyway, I have had a series of patients in the last 4 shifts, mostly because I am low on the totem pole and so don't get continuity with my patients because some other, more senior, nurse, wants to take care of "her" baby. Whatever. The past couple of days we've had a potential organ donor on the unit and my former colleagues have been present. In was nice, in that I got to exchange some juicy gossip and catch up on the happenings around the office. It also shows me that, just like being Catholic, you never stop being a TC. I still say "us" and "we" when talking about the OPO. Actually, I instinctively typed "my" OPO. See what I mean.





So, even though it's probably good that I got out of that handbasket before it bursts into flames, I have to say-I MISS IT! I miss my old job. Or at least I miss the work, if you know what I mean. I miss the thrill of waiting by the phone and finally getting called out. I miss sitting around ICU's all day waiting for the doctors to finally start clinicals and listen to them whisper about you at the nurse's station. I miss the nervousness when it's finally time to ask the family and then the rush that comes when you know they're going to be a donor and you have 8 million things that need to be done all at once. I miss crying with the families and hugging them and listening to them talk about their loved ones. I miss knowing that you're getting one more person off the waiting list.





Also, I miss the free time I had, when waiting, to write as much as I pleased with no interuptions. I do have more free time now, but it's all spent at home and there are lots of distractions, including one who can crawl all over the desk and say, "Eat dat! Have dat! Want dat!" Right now, as we speak, I have a 2000 word essay in the works, that requires actual research and critical thinking as opposed to my usual snarky ramblings. My fingers are itching to type it, although I hear there's a cream for that now. In former days, I could pass the time in an ICU, tucked into an inconspicous corner, surfing and typing away on the best technology a non-profit could buy, while waiting for a doctor to decide if 96 degrees is too cold to start brain death and is it ethical to start pitressin on a patient who's peeing a gallon a minute if the organ donation people are in the same hospital.





Ahh, well. Maybe when the little distraction is older I'll go back.





Speaking of which:



I Cn Haz Cupcake!
** Sorry bout the run on sentences, I'm trying to finish before "The Big Comfy Couch" is over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the picture is gorgeous - how could one beautiful face have so many dimples?!?!? It is so funny - all of the things you miss are all of the things that gave me an anxiety disorder in "the job"! Haha - now my work is to make it the best place possible to accomplish the miracle of donation and to help all of our opo colleagues. In my new gig, I am always in awe of the nicu and picu folks so you know I am still in awe of my preceptor!!!!
shim

Shig said...

Ahhh, Shim! I know you're awesome at your job, too. But you could CALL ME once in a while!

Shig said...

BTW. she gets the dimples from me.

Anonymous said...

deal!!!!